Friday, February 09, 2007

What did I get myself into?

My #1 goal for the beginning of the year was to complete a baby blanket for my college roommate who is due April 1st. Well, I thought starting it in February would give me two months to get it done and shipped off. WRONG!

I had chosen a very cute design that basically is a border of a solid color, with blocks of either stripes or polka dots (big ones and small ones). I don't know what I was thinking because I had never done anything with four colors before. I didn't know that you're supposed to start a new color chain with every new color section on the blanket.

You see this mess?



That's only half of it.



It doesn't look too bad from the second picture, but this was taken a few days ago. Since then, I've added double the loose ends of yarn to it. My goodness. It takes me 45 mins to knit one row. It's not a huge blanket, but my time is used when I have to untangle the bobbins of yarn, and switch colors every few stitches.

I think it will be very cute once it's done, but at this rate, I think it will be baby's first Christmas present. I haven't given up yet, but most nights, I do one row and I'm sick of the sight of the thing already. Maybe I'll knit another umbillical cord hat. That was a big hit last baby gift.

No comments: