Sunday, January 27, 2008

What's cookin'?

ME! Yes, I've been trying new recipes and loving them!

I recently made Giada's Spice Bean Soup. Lucky it turned out to be delicious because there's so much of it. This is an 8 quart pot! The recipe says to let it boil - and I was like, "I don't think so!"



I had to change to this bigger pot after adding in all the veggies, and then realizing that I hadn't even added the broth yet and the pot was full! What gets me is that it didn't look like Giada was using that big of a pot on TV - and hers wasn't nearly as full as mine. Ah well - the more to enjoy. Towards the end, the soup became almost like a thick vegetable stew. Yum!

A while ago, I saw they were selling Sprinkles cupcake mix at Williams Sonoma. Apparently, Sprinkles are really big in LA. I had never tried them, but I'm always willing to try a good cupcake. I had never tried anything 'red velvet' either. So, I made my first purchase of red velvet cupcake mix.

First off, cover the mixer when you add in the dry mix. It gets EVERYWHERE. It's not like I turned on the mixer to full power. I only had it on setting 1 - but as soon as you pour in the mix, a haze of power is set free and just settles on everything. I've been wiping down all my counters and walls and all the towels are just pink. I love pink, but not when it stains my "supposed to be white and green" towels. I think I used up about 5 wet paper towels after that before they came away white. Anyway, the cupcakes turned out OK. I'm not in cupcake heaven over them. And red velvet turns out to be a light chocolate flavor - only red in color. OK - been there, done that. I found them a little dry - but I liked that they weren't too sweet. Maybe the ones made at the stores are better - probably, or they wouldn't be so popular. Those brown and red dots come with the mix.




And my last big culinary moment of the weekend, chicken pot pie! I used Nigella Lawson's recipe from her Nigella Express series. The only difference is that I didn't add the Marsala wine. It was delicious and very easy to make. There are a couple of things you have to prep, but once you have it, you just throw it all together. Add on a layer of pre-made puff pastry and you're done.




You see that extra piece of pastry sticking out near the bottom of the picture? Yeah, that was the first part to be eaten. :)

That's it. I've hung up my pot holders for the rest of the weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm yum! I wish Alan liked soup. I make this quick potato soup from Cook's Country and it has kale and sausage and is soooo yummy but Alan won't touch it. And he's not a fan of sweets. And he doesn't like pot pie. He's so picky.

g. girl said...

OMG...you're soooo Martha!!! I love it!!