Saturday, June 21, 2008

Completely confused - but not anymore

I'm a big horror movie fan, but last night, I was just completely confused and couldn't sleep until I figured it out - you know, the important stuff in life keeps me awake.

Most people know that 'The Grudge' series of movies staring Sarah Michelle Gellar were produced by the same guy who did the original Japanese versions. Ju-On is the title of the Japanese version. Fine.

Only talking about the Japanese versions now. I've watched Ju-on many times (or so I thought). I read a synopsis of Ju-on 2 - which is about a film crew making some sort of show based upon the terrible things that happened in the house, and then of course, things start happening to the crew members and actors. But when I actually watched Ju-on 2, the story was completely different. It was almost like an extended version of part 1, and revolved around a student - many shots in his school and at his family's home. What? What about the synopsis I had read? Where was the TV crew? Not to mention it was a horrible, low-budget film. Nothing like the first Ju-on I had seen. Did they run out of money or something?

Then last night, they were showing Ju-on 2 on TV again. With nothing else on, I decided to watch it. This time, it was a much better quality film and it was about the TV crew. I was completely confused.

Anyway, after researching on the web at 2am, I finally figured it out.

There is Ju-on, and Ju-on 2. Those were low budget films that showed on Japanese TV. Then a few years later, they made Ju-on: The Grudge and Ju-on: The Grudge 2. So, I guess what happened is that I've never really seen Ju-on, but went straight to The Grudge and then saw Ju-on 2. And then last night it was The Grudge 2.

I'm sure I've confused everyone who's reading this, but I'm happy to report that I understand now. So, out of the 4 movies made, I have never seen the very first one - which I'm going to try to find today and watch.

This is all crazy making, that's what it is. And to top it all off, they're making The Grudge 3 in America, which will be based on Ju-on 2 (with the TV show storyline). There will also be a Japanese version called Ju-on: The Grudge 3 - but I have no idea what that story will be about.

No comments: