Friday, August 08, 2008

The kindness of strangers

So, walking back from my usual morning Starbucks coffee run, my friend and I passed by two people hovering over something. Taking a closer look, it was a little yellow and black bird. I mean, if one wasn't paying attention, you could have walked right over it and not even know. It was so small. Poor thing was just sitting there. At first I thought it was a toy, but then I saw his little black eyes blinking. Poor thing - didn't know where it came from, but there is was on the busy downtown street - probably hurt, most definitely terrified.

The two people hunched over the bird said that they had called SPCA and were waiting for them to come collect the little guy. One of them went and found a box cover and then gently placed the little one in it. At that point, we could see that one if its poor little legs was kind of mangled. My heart just went out to that bird.

I personally wouldn't have known what to do. I'm glad there are still people in the world who notice the little things and have the big hearts to do what they can to help.

No comments: