Saturday, January 27, 2007

Performance ratings

Every quarter at work, we have to write up examples that justify why we are either proficient or show strength in several categories called a 'Competency Model'. These categories include things like "Acts with Ethics and Integrity", "Teamwork," or "Community and Environmental Responsibility."

I have such a difficult time with these because all the categories ultimately are the same. I give the same examples, the same reasons - every quarter, every year. I'm so busy at work every day, surely I must have some great examples to show my strengths!?

This quarter, I've been having a doubly hard time - why? Because if I put down that I feel I have 'strength' in something, I have to come up with TWO examples, and in a specific format. If I feel I'm 'proficient' then I only need to come up with ONE example.

So, do I just say I'm ok with everything to save me some time? Or do I say I'm strong in everything and then lose sleep over what on earth to say? I go through this 4 times a year. At this moment, I'm working on it at 11:55p on a Saturday night - you know I'm hating life right now.

Why do I fret over this and not just say I'm proficient in everything? Because this helps our boss justify our annual bonus and raises to the higher ups. The more you show you do, the less questions our boss gets on why he feels we should get 'this much' raise next year.


I think I'm tapped out for the night though. I guess my Sunday morning will be dedicated to this too. Great.

No comments: