Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Checking them off one by one...

I don't know what it is.  Something in the air?  Something with the craziness that started the year 2010? Things are irking me today. 

Every day there is news that reminds me of the reasons I don't like reading up on the latest in the world.  People are intolerant, devastating earthquakes everywhere, ridiculous scandals that are really no ones business but with the people involved. 

With that said, I'm looking forward to some peace... Getting away from all this BS that is the world today.  I'll be away on a beach with a never ending supply of frosty Pina Coladas in my hand.  Yep, I'm headed to Oahu, HI.  We had plans to go about a year ago, but with Monte being sick, we canceled all vacation plans to stay with our baby.   It's time to let go of the world and enjoy paradise now.

With this trip, I will be knocking out a couple of things from my 'bucket list'.  If anything, my list is of things I would like to do in my lifetime.  They're all doable, though most require a bit of planning and saving.  

So, what am I checking off the list from this trip? Skydiving.  Yes, I'm going to throw myself from a plane.  Like I said, I don't know what it is with this year, but suddenly I've found a burst of courage (this as I'm sitting in the safety of my office).  And to clarify, when I say "throw myself from a plane", I mean me being attached to an instructor and screaming for my mommy as he pushes us out of the door.  Yeah... I don't know what I'm thinking, but I made the reservations already.  I'm gonna do it!

Another thing off the list is swimming with dolphins.  This is something I've wanted to do since our last trip to Oahu so many years ago.  Money was definitely the reason for us NOT doing it last time, and I've been kicking myself ever since.  This trip, there's no stopping me.  I'm going to get a picture of me kissing a dolphin. 

The rest of the trip is unplanned (except for some must try food places) and low key, as it should be.  

When we come back, I'm checking off a third item from the list.  A cooking class!  I've always wanted to take one.  Who knew Williams-Sonoma offers FREE classes?  I sure didn't.  I'm going to learn how to bake pies and tarts.  Yep!  I'm excited.

Lastly, we're heading up to Lake Tahoe soon - a little late for the season, I know.  I'm going to attempt snowboarding.  OMG!  I'm more nervous about that than skydiving.  Seriously.  Skydiving, if anything went wrong, well, it's done.  With snowboarding, I could get hurt... and have to recover.  Ugh.

The last time I was on the mountain, it was my first time skiing again after my knee injury.  I had a really difficult time.  I couldn't get past the fear of getting hurt again.  The mind is such a powerful thing.  I took a really bad fall toward the end of my run, and I took off those darn skis.  I may try again some day, who knows.  I didn't suck at skiing.  I actually picked it up fairly quickly.  But of the few times I did fall, I fell hard.  Hard enough to really shake my confidence.  

I really do want to try snowboarding though.  It looks like so much fun.  And honestly, I'd rather carry one cool board around than two skis and two poles.  I really want to learn some type of winter sport.  My hubby skis.  And while I will never get to his level (black diamonds), I would like to enjoy time in the snow and feel that rush of wind/adrenaline again.

So, in the next few weeks, I'll be able to check off four times from my bucket list.  I'm really excited about it and I'm glad I'm finally doing things off that darn list.  The list only gets longer as I think of new things, but that's OK as long as I'm actively checking things off from there too.

Without question, I am getting the picture/DVD package with the skydiving.  Will post when I get them.  ACK!  I'm going skydiving y'all!!!  If you hear something that sounds awfully like a blood curdling scream on Sunday morning... yeah, that would be me.











No comments: