Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Ah, memories...

I recently reconnected with an old friend from my childhood. She and her sister lived several blocks from me, and for years, we would spend our weekends and summers together. I don't remember everything we did, but I know I had a lot of fun times with them. I do remember playing computer and video games, board games, lots of pizza nights, movies, and just everything three pre-teen girls could do for fun. And we would go anywhere our parents would take us.

My husband and I recently purchased our first condo together, and I've been on an eBay selling frenzy. Anything I don't want to move, I'm selling. I found an old box filled with those popular Infocom games from the early 1980's. My friends and I used to LOVE these games - and it got me reminiscing the good ol' days. So, I just looked her up on the internet one day, and lucky for me, she has a unique name, and she had created a blog. Her site was the first one on the list. I emailed her, and we've been catching up ever since. It's a great feeling to be in touch again. Her family moved away when I started high school. This was before emails and free long distance cell phone packages (God, I'm making myself sound so old!) So, while we tried writing letters now and then, we just didn't get around to calling each other very much. The relationship died off...

But thanks to the blogging craze, and the convenience of the internet and email - I've found my friend again, almost 20 years later. She's going to have a baby this September, and while that is fantastic news, it's very surreal to me. I'm still picturing a little girl of 12 years old... beating me at Donkey Kong.

No comments: