Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Relieved, but sad...

One of my best friends from high school moved back to Japan a few years ago. Thanks to email, we've stayed caught up for the most part on the comings and goings of our lives. I miss her terribly. She has two children. One is turning 5 next month, the other will be 4 in November. She moved away before I saw her second son's first birthday. I watch them grow through pictures and live their stories through their mother.

There was a commuter train derailment in Tokyo, Japan on Monday morning. My friend had just written me an email the night before explaining that her older son's new preschool did not allow parents to drop their kids off by car. So they have been taking the commuter train in the mornings. My heart nearly fell out when I read the news article. I don't have international long distance on my phone at home anymore - so I sent her an email asking her to write me back ASAP and let me know she and the boys were OK.

She emailed me back this morning. She and the boys are fine. They do take the commuter train in the mornings, but luckily, not that one. I am so relieved, but also sad this happened at all. Can you imagine going to work as you always do. Sitting there, reading the morning paper, then suddenly...

I may be overly dramatic, but that's why every morning when my husband drops me off at work, I always tell him I love him. I want those words to be the last thing he hears from me if anything were to happen during the day. I know we don't need the words to show how we feel for each other, but it's comforting just the same.

No comments: