Saturday, April 30, 2005

Big fan who never read the book...

I'm sure many of you have heard of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series of books. I love them. But my love didn't come from actually reading the novels. I could never get through the writing. They would go off on a tangent so much that I was lost by page two.

My interest comes from the audio books by Simon and Schuster. They're not the typical audio books on the market today where one person reenacts the entire book. The two tapes that I have sound more like full cast productions, complete with sound effects and background score. Acted out on tape, I understood the journey of seeking out 'the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything'.

Tonight, full of anticipation, and my hubby in tow, we went to see the movie version of the first Hitchhiker book. I read reviews about it beforehand and it was either you would love it, or you would hate it. I don't know what I feel about this movie. There definitely isn't any love, but I didn't hate it either.

It followed what I remembered from my tapes for the most part, but there was an entire section that I never knew about. And since I didn't actually read the book, I don't know if that was just cut out of the audio version. I believe I have the book in a box somewhere, so I'll have to dig it up now and verify if that whole scene really exists. Maybe this time, the book will make more sense to me.

So, over all, I was slightly disappointed in the movie, but it was a nice attempt in bringing Douglas Adams' book to life. For me, I should've waited for the video, but the pretzel dippers I had tonight weren't bad.

No comments: