Sunday, December 24, 2006

What a special treat!

My hubby and I just watched the Richard Donner cut of Superman II.



It is a completely different movie from the cheesy one that was initially released back in the 80's! Unbelievable. There is so much footage that was shot and not used. Richard Donner was the original director for both Superman I and II, and both movies were shot at the same time (how they did that, I'll never know). But something happened in studioland, and Richard Donner was let go before Superman II was completed.

In this re-release, while the base story of Superman fighting the three criminals from Krypton is the same, the rest is all new footage. Which is fantastic! All the scenes that were filled in by other Kryponians and Kal El's mother in the original were all replaced by Marlon Brando (or should I say, restored to the original Marlon Brando footage). I'm such a Superman geek. But that's ok.

It's so wonderful for me, a complete Superman/Christopher Reeve fanatic, that there was this 'secret' movie hidden away in the vaults of England somewhere - and 30 years later, it's like an additional movie of my favorite superhero, played by the only man who can play him.

The new Superman II is not cheesy or funny. It's much more along the lines of the first film. The little quips and jokes from background extras are cut out. It's a much more serious movie. Of course, since I've watched Superman I and II so many times, I know all the lines and scenes. It was a little distracting for myself when I noticed all the things that were cut or added, or certain voices that weren't there anymore, and the different camera angles, different takes used for the same scenes. I guess I'll just have to watch this new version a few more times to get over it. :)



No comments: