Monday, February 13, 2006

Grown-up bully

My hubby just called me. Fairly pissed off. For the past three weeks, he's been playing basketball Monday nights at a local gym. One of his older friends had invited him to join on their open play. The group consists of older men, but they all get along well, and it's a casual setting that my husband really enjoyed. In his busy schedule, Monday nights were something he really looked forward to.

So, he called me just now, at bit peeved. This guy talked to my hubby while he was changing in the locker room - told him that he shouldn't play there anymore. That the guy who invited my husband really didn't have the authority to invite someone into the group. That my hubby was too young and it wasn't fair to the elder players (who are around 50 or 60).

What the hell is this? Bullying on the playground? "You can't play with us?" I'm pissed off too, but I don't know what to say that's comforting at this point. I mean, come on! What are we? 10 year olds? The guy apparently runs the gym where these guys play. I don't think he put this team together or anything. It's not even a team - it's just a group of guys who play together once or twice a week. The bully wasn't even there the past month - and just saw my husband for the first time tonight. What is his deal? What a complete joke. And I'm feeling so bad that my hubby couldn't let off some steam from work.

He's home now, watching the Warriors on TV. He says he'll talk to the guy who actually invited him to play later. I don't know if he'll go back though. That really sucks.

Another sucky thing that happened today... my friend at work found out that she didn't get the job that she had interviewed for. I know she was really hoping to get that position - it would have been perfect for her. At this point, I think she'll probably take off with the rest of her sick and vacation time - and look for something else outside the company. I wish her luck - but I'm going to miss seeing her right there, you know? Most of my friends have left the company - but we try to get together at least every other month for a girls catch up night - which is important.

No comments: