Saturday, February 18, 2006

The latest on Monte

On Thursday, Monte had his appointment for the ultrasound for his heart, and a blood test for his thyroid. My hubby woke me up a little before 6:30a - which is when my alarm is supposed to go off. By 6:35a, I was still trying to wake up, but then suddenly all the power went out. Great. So, I basically got ready by candle light - I already decided that it would be a wet hair ponytail day. I didn't feel like bringing my hairdryer to work and hiding out in the bathroom for 15 minutes.

Anyway, we got a very whiny kitty into his carrier and my husband took off to the vet. We had to drop him off at the pet hospital between 7a - 9a. Around 7:15a, the power came back on - so I dried my hair as fast as I could. Not even a minute from when I finished, the building alarm came on. But instead of the usual "this is a drill" type fire alarm, this one told us to evacuate. I don't think I've ever gotten dressed so quickly in my life - I was out the door within 2 minutes. I guess I was lucky that Monte was on his way to the vet - there is no way I can get him into the carrier. He always manages to wiggle out of my arms - and can you imagine if he was already freaked by the alarm?

In the hall, I looked around. Smelled the air. Nothing. I'm sure it was just a result of the power outage in the building, but still - I took the stairs down and made it to the MUNI right at the door closed. WHEW!

I have a very short commute, and the MUNI trains run above ground for most of my route. Going into work, the train eventually goes into a tunnel and continues underground. Right at the mouth of the tunnel, the power went out. Unbelievable! Luckily, we were moving again in a few minutes. I got to work in time to get myself a latte before heading into the office.

Anyway, my hubby dropped Monte off and headed into work. By 3pm, we still had not heard anything. Calling the vet, they said that Monte (of course) was being difficult. They did the ultrasound, but not the blood test yet. My husband was mad that they didn't call, and he headed out to the vet to get Monte and bring him home. By the time he got there, the doctor has managed to get the blood test done. The results of the ultrasound had also come in - Monte had a thickened artery wall. It's not treatable. But he seems fine though!!! He's been playing a lot lately and his appetite is healty and normal. He's not gaining or losing weight. I don't know what to do. We already decided that a pacemaker is not an option that we want for Monte. We feel that that would change his life more than it should. It's important he just feel happy and secure at home.

A good nights rest was what our little one needed - the next day, he was pulling out toys from his little box and running all over the place again. It was a welcome sight. My husband needs to find time to talk to the vet in more detail about what the tests came back with though. Unfortunately, when he went to go pick Monte up, he was just so upset and stressed out that he didn't want to talk to them then.

The week has been a quiet one at home every weeknight. My hubby has been working 14 hour days - most nights coming back at 9p or 10p. This transition/merge thing of his old and new business is really stressing him out. He calls and complains - I know he wants to just quit, but can't. I wish I could help. It's a long weekend, yet he's already told me he has to work all three days. Bummer. I told him last night - when things calm down and there is a day he can play hookie, I will call in sick and we'll just hang out somewhere. Maybe go to Napa for the day or something. I know we have a big vacation coming up at the end of March, but that's still a month away. When you're stressed, you're stressed. One month can seem a lifetime.

No comments: