Saturday, September 30, 2006

Can you love a mall?

As of yesterday, I do. The newest shopping mecca of San Francisco opened it doors to the public on Thursday. While I wasn't able to see it that day, I had the day off on Friday, and my friend and I went to see the largest shopping mall "west of the Mississippi".



We already had San Francisco Center - a decent sized, multi-level mall with the second largest Nordstrom in the U.S. Now, the old Emporium building, which had been shut down for over 10 years, has been converted into an additional home to some of the public's favorite stores and boutiques. It connects to the SF Center. It also connects to the second largest Bloomingdale's in the U.S.

Why am I happy? Because since I've moved, it takes 20 - 30 minutes to drive to Stonestown (another mall, but it's on the other side of the city). This new Westfield San Francisco, is a mere 5 minute trolley ride away. Not that I shop a lot anymore, but I like having the option.

The simple pleasures of a girl. Ah...


I think what made the experience special was that I spent the day with an old childhood friend, whom I haven't seen in years. We write letters and emails to each other a lot, and we've talked on the phone a few times, but it's not the same as actually spending time with her. We've know each other since we attended a summer camp together when we were eight years old. We met for lunch and then walked around for hours. Neither of us were really interested in buying anything. Just spending time together. It was great!

No comments: