Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Marathon Knitting for Christmas

This week I finished not only the baby sweater, but this little guy as well...



Apparently the mascot for the Oakland A's baseball team is an elephant. I don't know these things. Since I only know how to do stuffed elephants, I made this one for my friend at work. I am a SF Giants fan, thank you very much. I'm proud of this one though. I had no clue how to make a mini baseball cap. I found a small hat pattern and 'tweaked' it. Then I added on the bill to the cap. At first it looked like a mallard duck head, so I scaled the bill back a little and squared it off. It looks good (even if I do say so myself). I just may have to make a Giants one for myself. I've thought about selling these, but they're time consuming. I've only taken the random request from coworkers, but I didn't charge them for it. I just wanted to knit and practice - but just don't want to keep any of it when I'm done.

I'm 99% finished with the baby sweater! I just need the buttons. It's the argyle sweater from Debbie Bliss' Special Knits.



It definitely has some flaws, but I tried. The sleeve thing totally flustered me, but I got through it. They both came out the same size (whew!) and I was able to sew hem onto the body without any issues. It looks cute. The pictures in the book are completely useless, so I had to depend on finding pictures posted on the web by other folks who have made this. It looks REALLY cute in pink. Hmmm... I do know some baby girls who would look really adorable in this too.

Of course, I used the pattern size for a 9 - 12 month old, and the thing looks like it would fit a 2 year old. Ah well, better too big now, than too small.

No comments: