Saturday, August 05, 2006

In love again...

Tonight, my hubby and I did a very rare thing. We actually went out to see a movie. I plunked down $20 and in return received our two tickets. No change. Yep, that's why we don't go out to movies that often anymore.

As huge of a Superman fan that I am, I'm amazed that it took this long before we actually went out to see
Superman Returns. Yes, I was very skeptical that they would destroy the legacy of Christopher Reeve as my beloved super hero, but you know what? I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It was intense and there were a few things I didn't expect. I believe that the director, Bryan Singer, tried to make this a 2.5 hour tribute to original movie from 1978. And all I can say is BRAVO!



There were so many references from the first movie - it was great. The original theme music really tied the movies together for me, and the usage of the Marlon Brando dialog was fantastic. The picture of Glenn Ford as Jonathan Kent on the piano as Martha Kent was quoting him, wonderful.

See, I'm a huge, huge, HUGE fan of Superman. I've watched the first movie a bizillion times and can recite every phrase and I know a lot of the details of the film. I've already warned my husband that when we become billionaires, I'm buying that statue of Superman from the Sharper Image store. I won't mind shelling out the $5000 for it.

My Superman is Christopher Reeve's Superman. But this movie was well done and I think Christopher would have been very proud that his legacy of this superhero lives on. I just hope they don't botch the sequels.

No comments: