Thursday, August 03, 2006

Whole lotta shakin'

Well, my goal to live out the two years in my current home without feeling an earthquake was squashed last night. A little after 8p, while my hubby and I were watching TV, I felt the rumble. It was such a low, deep groan, it was surreal. And then it hit. Our plant looked like I had grabbed it by the stem shaking it. It was a pretty hard jolt.

I was like, "EARTHQUAKE!!!" I think my outburst scared Monte more than the quake itself. Actually, our little fur ball was in a deep sleep until I yelled out and grabbed hold of him. Hey, he was sitting closer to me than my husband - so I grabbed the cat first.

Anyway, our building swayed for a while - it felt more than the 10 seconds it really was. But if you think about it, 10 seconds is a pretty long time.

It turned out to be a 4.4 quake. My husband says these smaller earthquakes are good. That means the ground keeps trying to settle itself. It's better than us staying still and building up pressure - and then get a big earthquake. Yeah, yeah, yeah - an earthquake is an earthquake. And I don't like any of them. But I guess if I had to choose, I'd rather a bunch of small ones than one big one.

Oh, and did I ever mention that our building is on landfill. Yeah... not so comforting.

On another note, I've actually been keeping up with a pretty good workout schedule. Well, it's not a good schedule, but I am working out. Almost every week day, and even on weekend day, I'll go to the gym and walk for 30 minutes to an hour. For various reasons, I can't really do a full on run, so I do a fast walk. It's a sweaty walk that gets the heartrate up, so I'm satisfied.

The thing that helps is that each treadmill has a TV hooked up to it. I get so bored when I'm just listening to music that even a 20 minute walk seems like forever. The TV is the key. Yep, so last night, I walked an hour while watching Project Runway. Of course, the new episode started at 10pm, so I basically I didn't end up going to bed until midnight. So, no, it's not an ideal workout schedule. I'm exhausted now, but I'm working out!

No comments: