Monday, August 28, 2006

Jackpot weekend

Vegas was a blast!!! It was definitely a birthday to remember. The Wynn is beautiful, and the rooms are very nice - a little larger than the average hotel room in Vegas. Via the offer we received, we had a meal allowance each day we were there, so we took the opportunity to try a different restaurant each day.

Our first dinner was at Daniel Boulud. Folks, unless you're a vegatarian, I highly suggest the short ribs. I don't think I've had short ribs that good in my entire life. My husband ordered it, actually. I had the salmon - which was also fabulous. But that short rib... oh my.

Tableau was our second dinner. The service there was excellent - thanks Joe! I had a wonderful Lobster with marscapone tortellini appetizer. I never order roasted chicken usually, but for some reason that night - I did. And it was marvellous. I ate every little bit.

For our third day, since we already covered the Terrace Cafe and the Buffet, we decided to try the Country Club. It overlooks the private golf course and magnificent waterfall at the 18th hole (I believe it's the 18th hole). Service was not good. The waitress took our order and we didn't see our food for over 30 minutes. We told the busboy and he came back with a complimentary order of french fries and chips, and the news that our food would be ready soon. The waitress then came by and said that it would be about 5 minutes, and told us to be patient. WHAT? No apologies, and we're told to be patient? Terrible.

A few minutes later, the maitre'd came by and we told him what was going on - he immediate went into the kitchen and within a minute, came back with our food. All we order was a burger, and steak and eggs. Yeah. 40 minutes for that - and it was not all that. But as we finished our meal, the maitre'd came back with a huge apology and told us the meal was on the house. Doesn't make up for it, but at least he apologized and recognized the problem - which is what we were looking for.

That night, MY BIRTHDAY NIGHT (whoo hoo!), we went to Corsa Cucina. Service there was also excellent. The waiters were very attentive and enjoyed talking with us about the different restaurants. I had a delicious meatball appetizer and the tenderloin of beef. It was sooooooo good. Unfortunately, I had too much meatball and calamari (don't bother with the calamari), and a 'tiramisu' cocktail before my entree came, so I was full. I actually couldn't finish my meal. I hate wasting food. And, as it was my birthday, I was told by my husband that I had to order dessert. Fine. So, I ordered these crepes (suggested by one of our waiters) to share. And after the candle blowing I just stuffed myself - they were delicious.

As another birthday treat for myself, I wanted to go to Tryst - the nightclub at the Wynn. I've always wanted to go dancing with my husband - but we've always ended up chosing slot machines over the music. This time, armed with free passes from our slot host, we bypassed the ridiculous line (I have never seen a line that long at 10:30pm for a club - never) and made our way down the dark velvet walled corridor and was greeted with a view of a flowing waterfall. It was beautful. I was way too full to drink any more - but I danced and danced and danced until my feet couldn't take it anymore.

It was a fabulous weekend! And the best part, I actually came back with what I brought to play with, plus a little more. What a birthday gift from the hotel! Anytime I come back with any of what I brought, I consider myself a winner. But this time, I definitely won the jackpot.

No comments: