Thursday, December 15, 2005

Expected, but dreaded announcement

Yesterday, our department had a last minute staff meeting. My friends and I joked about what this meeting could be about, but deep down we knew... either our department was moving to Sacramento, or we were being out sourced.

Long story short, the department is moving. I, however, plan to stay right here in SF. So, what does that mean? I have to find another job. I've already applied for one that I saw the morning before the announcement came out - so I guess that was the push I needed to click that 'Send' button.

I'm not worried. I know I'll find something. This announcement is no surprise, but reality hits you much harder than months of rumors. Several people I know are looking into the housing market in Sacramento already. Others are still undecided on what to do. What gets me is that upper management, during the same meeting announcing our move, tells us that they don't want this to ruin our Christmas. To please be reassured that everything possible will be done to place us in new jobs, or make the move as painless as possible. Uh, right. How can an announcement like that NOT make you worry - especially around Christmas. What if you don't find something? Should you spend that extra $100 you were going to use for gifts this holiday?

So, no move for me. It's time to move on anyway. I'm not happy - but this is getting me off my butt to post my resume out there and call on old favors. Wish me luck.

In events more cheery to the heart, my friends and I are having a holiday get together this weekend. I've finished all my gifts - so after Sunday, I'll be able to post my most secret projects. I have one more to make - but that's for a friend I'm going to mail the package to. I'm excited. I've made homemade gifts in previous years - like lip gloss and soaps and such, but nothing like this.

No comments: