Monday, December 05, 2005

Just venting...

First day at my new desk... Got to work this morning and started packing up my things from my old cube and moved them over to my new desk area. Like my move from apartment to condo, I have A LOT of stuff. How the heck did I accumulate that much stuff at work???

Yes, there was a box of little holiday decorations, free mugs and calculators (you know, the ones that commemorate a special project that the higher ups are oh so proud of), and the little 'too cute to throw away' things. Then there are the filled notebooks that can't be thrown away yet. The documentation and text files that were handed out during training sessions. The stack of pictures I had to take down from my walls because, and don't get me started, I don't have walls anymore. My hangup calendar is now lying flat on my desk. And it will remain there until the new year when I can recycle it. It's just very sad.

Not sad because I have these things that I felt important enough to keep with me after 10 years with this company. No, it's sad because I've been reduced to a small corner space with a window view of (gasp) another highrise. At least I can catch a glimpse of onramp of the Bay Bridge from the side of it. You know what I realized today, sitting at my desk, always aware that someone else's face was just a few feet from mine - facing me all day long? I can't even make a personal phone call without everyone within 10 feet hearing everything. If I want to make a doctor's appointment? I have to get my cell and walk away to do it. OK - I started again, but I'm bitter folks. If not for the stupid things and stupid people at my work that cheated me out of a much deserved promotion... And if you ask anyone on that floor who worked with me for the past two years while I was on rotation in my now coveted position - they will tell you the same. I deserved that promotion. I still do. And what was promised to me was conveniently dismissed.

They keep saying that they don't know what is going to happen with the fate of my old team, or my department. That's the excuse I've been given as a retraction to my promised promotion. Well, ladies and gents - that is no way to keep a good employee around. You think I'm so good, show me something that will benefit me to make me want to stay.

Sorry to vent. I'm just very frustrated. The holidays are here. My favorite time of the year, and I'm miserable. I just need to win the MegaMillions jackpot and all my frustrations will be over. Now, if only those other people would stop buying my winning ticket!

1 comment:

drama queen said...

sorry to hear about your recent "move," girl...i still can't picture the "window cube" thing. but it doesn't sound like a comfortable situation. i can't think of working in an office anymore. that's why i moved to the classroom. altho', as a teacher, we have other issues to deal with, but i do not want to work in an office.....not unless i'm a high paid adminstrator (for the school district). even that, the job would have to be very fulfilling....guen