Monday, December 19, 2005

Is it almost over?


Well, 2005 hasn't been the best year - and honestly, I can't wait for it to end.

Over the weekend, my dad told me that his second eldest brother passed away. I believe he was 85 years old. He lived in New Orleans and was evacuated during the whole Katrina disaster. He was in an assisted living facility that evacuated in time before the floods hit, but he lost everything. All he asked for, after he settle in a new home, were pictures of the family. He didn't want money or anything else - just pictures. It was very touching, but also very sad.

My dad is the youngest of a very large family - and most of the older siblings are in their 70's and 80's now. He wasn't very close with this uncle, but still - he was a bit mellow when I talked to him. He thinking about how the numbers are going down... I don't know what to say to comfort him. We all know there will come a time when you realize how much older certain family members are - and time may be limited to spend with them.

Well, my dad's birthday is on Christmas - and we will celebrate with my in-laws as well. It's become a fun tradition that we started just a few years ago. Everyone likes each other - and there's always a lot of laughter. I think my dad needs that now.

On a happier note, this past weekend was our holiday get together. It was so much fun. We made it a pot luck lunch/dinner, exchanged gifts, and did our version of a 'white trash' gingerbreadhouse. White trash meaning, using the cheapest candies and graham crackers you could find. I took it one more step, I actually put together a trailer - complete with a green lifesaver wreath on the door. Hee hee. I'll try to get a picture from my friend. Wouldn't you know it? All of us forgot our cameras. Luckily, we actually had our party at one friend's house, so she had a camera. By the time we were done with the houses - our hands were just covered with that marshmallow puff in a jar stuff - so we probably wouldn't have taken many pictures anyway.

So, want to see what I made all the gals for their gifts? I couldn't show them before, but here they are...


Aprons!



I made 6 of them this year. Whew! It wasn't easy. They look kind of funky in the pictures, but trust me, they're actually even and proportioned. My friends really liked them. I just save to go to the post office this week and send off the last of them to my friends in So. Cal. I just can't believe I got them finished in time.

1 comment:

lumlumaaaaaaah said...

Love them aprons! How unique!