Friday, July 29, 2005

Missed it...


I can't believe I missed it.

Les Miserables - my most favorite musical in the world, has come and gone. It was only in SF for about two months. I believe it's on its way to Bejing for its debut there. Aside from our budget being much tighter now, because we only moved on July 2nd, I've already seen it six times in the past several years. So, I just couldn't justify $180 for two tickets. But then again, it's not like a DVD you can pop in any old time to see it - when it's here, that's the only opportunity to enjoy it. The CD just doesn't bring you that thrill of that first note of the music hitting your ears, and the audience comes to a complete silence.


I hope it comes back in a few years. I'm more upset about missing this production because when I first saw it in 1989, it was at the Curran Theater and it was a full scale production that stayed for about 2 years, I believe. I saw it three times then. The other touring shows I've seen in later years were much smaller scale tour companies, and just simply were not that good. This latest visit was back in it's original home at the Curran. I heard that this was, again, a full production, not the skimpy travel show. I'm bummed.

No comments: