Sunday, July 03, 2005

New home

It's been a few days, but my lag in blogging is excused by a very good reason. We've moved! Yes, Friday was a hectic day to get everything ready - so that was pretty much a blur of sweat, stress, and panic.

Saturday, we woke up early and packed some more. As I had mentioned before, thanks to a friend's suggestion, we hired Delancey Street Movers to help us. I will tell you this in all honesty. If you are moving in San Francisco (I don't know if they do other cities/states) and in the process of researching movers, look no further. Delancey Street is EXCELLENT. My husband and I can't say enough about them. For our move, they sent four movers. Within 4 hours, they moved our boxes and furniture, and even helped pack up our closets for us (we had planned to move our hanging clothes ourselves). They were extremly courteous and polite. They were very careful with all our belongings and even just the buildings in general. No scrapes or dents in the walls. Everything is perfect. Thank you Cristian, Justin, Richard, and David! You guys are awesome! Go ahead and look for other people's reviews on Delancey's services.

In other news, I'm back to Dial-up Service for my internet. WAH!!! It is so difficult to go back! I've had Earthlink DSL for about three months, and it is just so difficult having to sit and wait five minutes before I can look a blog, or even something simple as checking my email. It's pure hell.

Why am I back with Dial-up? Because my service provider, Earthlink, for some stupid reason, declined to provide DSL service in my building. The only thing I can do in my area now, if I want to keep my current provider, is to switch to their Satellite service - for $69.99 a month. Uh, not going to happen. If I cancel my DSL service and switch to one of the other companies, I will have to pay Earthlink a penalty fee of $149.99 for early termination of service - because I haven't fulfilled my one year subscription. Unbelievable!

I'm checking with Earthlink now to see if they'll be smart enough to change their decision on this totally lack of judgement. I don't want to cancel my service, and then suddenly find out that they changed their minds and are offering service to my building. I'm in a new complex, with several hundred units. There is another complex on the next block that is being built right now. That project looks huge, and I'm sure will also be selling several hundred units. Is Earthlink going to miss out and make all of us go with Comcast or SBC?

No bonus check for the person who signed off on that agreement this year.

Anyway, on less frustrating matters, today we made two big trips back to our old apartment to move MORE things! Yes, we have that much stuff. Would you believe I found some outfits from my college days today? They were moved yesterday, but when organizing the closets this morning, I found clothes that I haven't worn in over 15 years! Amazing. Those went straight to the donation pile. We're not done yet. One more load to go at the old apartment. We haven't cleared out the freezer yet either. We're going to have to borrow a van from my husband's work and move a huge load of stuff we're donating. Can't complain. That means none of that stuff had to be moved. We actually have to bring back an old chair and a futon from here to be donated too. After that, we are goingt o vacuum up the nine years of dust bunnies that had accumulated under our furniture and is now out in the open in our empty apartment. It's pretty disgusting actually.

This move has really opened my eyes and soul to embrace the wonderful world of simplicity. I have way too much stuff. You'd think that since I love shows like Clean Sweep or Clean House, I would have learned that I don't need to keep all this stuff. Clutter is bad. Clothes you haven't seen in 15 years is bad.

Most important part of this move, little Monte has finally come out from under the bed, where he has been hiding for most of last night and today, and is sleeping comfortably next to me on his favorite blanket. It was a tough day for the little guy. We brought him over to my grandma's around noon, and then picked him up after the main moving was over and we had a chance to organize a little bit. He was so freaked that it took him a few minutes to come out of his travel box - and he HATES that thing. Once he saw the bed, under it he went. I'm so glad that I've been able to walk in and out of the bedroom tonight and he stayed on his blanket. He's actually up and wandering about right now. I think Monte is going to be just fine.

Home sweet home. What a wonderful feeling!

No comments: