Friday, September 02, 2005

I don't understand

The devastation of New Orleans is just incredible. I had no idea how much damage could result from a hurricane and its aftermath. I've never seen anything like the images that are constantly on the news and frontpages of newspapers.

I have family in New Orleans and the surrounding area. Luckily, they were all evacuated to safety. Their homes and life as they knew it has been destroyed. It's just terrible - but at least they're safe and sound, and most of them are together.

What I don't understand is, in addition to the devastation, every day there are the reports of looting (which, sadly, isn't surprising), gangs of teens with guns raping women, and snipers shooting at rescue workers trying to evacuate a hospital? What is going on? Why do people do this? It's just sickening how people are.

It's just awful to hear the stories of the survivors, what they went through. What they're going through. And there are those who are actually out there trying to help. But then you have to deal with stupid idiots with guns or just poor sense of humanity? I don't even know what to say. It's just sickening.

I just pray that disaster of this magnitude never strikes SF (thinking earthquakes) - because I know that while there will be many angels out there who will risk their own lives to help others, there will always been the black hearted individuals out there who will cause additional chaos and destruction. They really shouldn't qualify as 'people'. And I wouldn't want to insult our furry (and non-furry) friends of the world by categorizing 'them' as animals either.

Sorry to vent. Every time I visit the CNN site or watch the news, I just get so disgusted by everything.


No comments: