Sunday, September 04, 2005

Visitors

My hubby's aunts are coming over the see our new place today. Just for a few minutes before we head out to his parent's place for dinner together. It's been a frantic 'where can we shove everything' morning. Actually, I was up until 3am last night cleaning up. Well, I did some cleanup - then I found out how much fun those free demo online games are. I was up until 3am playing something called Luxor. Anyway...

The living room is clean - looks nice, except for the dining table which is currently the temporary home to my husband's work papers. We got the second layer of curtains we wanted for the living room - we have cranberry red ones that will stay open on the sides, and then sheerish white ones covering the entire window. It looks really nice. The window is really wide, so we wanted to put a small screw in the ceiling and then use some fishwire to pull up the drooping part of the rods in the middle. Yeah, took us a minute to realize that the ceiling is all concrete. Hubby has to get a new 'drill bit' for his electric drill that is specifically for concrete. So, that brilliant idea is on hold for now - and we have a small little hole in our beautiful yellow walls. Every time I glance up there, I think there's a small bug.

I gave up on the study. It's a mess. At least it's an organized piled mess. Big mistake giving up that one chest of drawers. Lost three shelves and three drawers worth of storage. Now it's all in ugly packing boxes and little piles of stuff around my desk. Good thing is that, for now, I still can use the excuse, "We just moved in."

Here's something nice. Our upstairs neighbors just came by. Meeting them for the first time. They invited us to their housewarming party next weekend. Finally meeting some people here. It's amazing. Dozens of units on my floor, and over 500 units in the two combined complexes - we've met about three people. It's not like we're anti-social or anything. You go out into the halls, there is never anyone around. Odd. We met our direct next door neighbor once on the elevator - and have never seen him since. I'm thinking it would be nice to attend this party and meet some more neighbors. Odd that this is coming from me - I'm usually very shy about meeting new people. I'm not shy around my friends - but if you're new to me, it takes me a while to open up.

Lot's of different news today. I received an email from an uncle today. He is trying to collect donations to help with my uncle and cousins out in the New Orleans area. He mentioned that some people in the family already donated $4000 and $5000. I can't give anything even in that ballpark unfortunately, but I'll try my best. I think my uncle and cousins in New Orleans will be comforted to know that the family is here for them. My uncle wasn't able to make the reunion last month because of his health - but we had made him a special video and sent him our love. I'm sure even that video is gone now. In a way, I'm glad we had the reunion so recently - it brings our large family closer in our hearts.

No comments: