Monday, May 08, 2006

I love surfing... for food!

Don't you love it when you are looking for something on the web, and within the first attempt you find exactly what you were looking for?

That's what happened to me today! I was reminicing about some of the unique foods we had during our visit to Belgrade earlier this year (yes, I like to think about food). There was a meat dish called Cevapcici (chi-vap-chi-chi) that was basically ground/minced lamb and beef with seasonings, shaped into, well, 'meat sticks' and grilled (see picture). Fabulous. You're supposed to eat it with raw chopped onions, but I just ate them plain with this bread called Lepinja (second picture). It's just bread, but soooo good.





Another thing that I loved was this 'cheese' like spread called Kajmak. It's very creamy, and so rich. It's completely white and the texture is like a smoother cottage cheese, but the difference is that it's so soft that you can mush the little 'bumps' with your tongue and can't even feel it. Cottage cheese bumps are hard. I had so much of it with the bread, by the time the Cevapcici came, I was full. Of course, I wasn't eating it by the spoon full - just thinking about it my cholesterol goes up. Geez! It doesn't look all that appetizing, but trust me, it was good stuff!





I couldn't believe that something that good could only be limited to Eastern Europe. So, I did a little search and VOILA! I found Balkan Pearls. They're based in Vermont, but I guess they import these specialty items from Europe? Don't know. I thought meats were illegal to import - so I don't want to ask. I put in my order of the meat, bread, and 'cheese' I know I'm on my 'special' diet, but it's mother's day this weekend. We're heading over to my in-laws for a big family dinner. Family that consists mainly of Europeans who have not had this food in years. Boy will they be surprised!

I just hope the package comes by Friday - and more importantly, I hope it's good. Well, I already plan to 'try' a little of it first when it gets here, and if it sucks, well, I just won't bring it this weekend. But that would be a major disappointment.


No comments: