Thursday, June 15, 2006

A lighter subject this time...

For my own sanity, I had to take a day and not call to check on Bubbles. I feel bad, but after three days straight of bawling every time I thought about him, I just needed to give myself a little break. I plan to call later today to check in.

So, back to the summer of movies list. Last Saturday, we finally went to see
The DaVinci Code. I LOVE the book. The movie? Not so much. I really enjoyed seeing all the sights that my husband and I visited when we were in Paris and London earlier this year - so that made it really special. But the movie itself, though not bad, skimmed on so many details, and they changed the story a bit too. I don't mind the changes though - they actually made more sense than what was in the book.

I heard they're planning to make a movie on Dan Brown's other book,
Angels and Demons. Another good read. That takes place in Italy. Maybe we'll get to squeeze in a trip before that movie is released? Wishful thinking.

On the DVD front, we saw
Basic. Pretty good movie with a lot of twists. Horrible sound though. For the first time, we had the subtitles on through the entire movie. There was a whole scene near an airplane, and you couldn't hear a word the actors were saying. It was ridiculous. But aside from that, John Travolta was very good. I didn't quite understand the ending though - but overall, it was OK.

We also finally saw
Star Wars III, Revenge of the Sith. I don't know what to say. I was very disappointed. At times, the movie seemed to make a joke of itself. I only liked the ending where it rounded everything off so that it could continue onto the Star Wars we all know and love - the 'original' one that is now known as Episode IV, A New Hope.

Oh, we had also watched Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. Even though the critics hated it, I rather enjoyed it, overall. Individual acting, I thought was great. Rene Zellweger is always very good. And Collin Firth - well, you can't go wrong with looking at him. He can just stand there and I'd be fine. But the story itself - lots of misunderstandings, silly jealousy, and relationship woes brought on by the characters themselves. I guess this isn't a great review of a movie I like, huh? Anyway - it was good. DVD rental good. Not $10 movie good.

No comments: