Tuesday, August 02, 2005

No more alarms, please!

Around 2:15am this morning, my hubby and I were rudely, and very shockingly awakened by the fire alarm system in our building. Not only do we have the standard little fire alarms on our ceilings, and the lovely little sprinkler system nozzels sticking out of our walls, we have a PA system on both sides of our unit.

So, there we are, hearts pounding, thanks to the loud siren going on in our room. And it's not just a siren. It's a LOUD, VERY LOUD annoying bleeping alarm. I can't even describe how loud it is. This alarm went on one time in the middle of the afternoon a few weeks ago, and we couldn't even be in the same room with it.


Anyway, the recording comes on explaining that the fire alarm has been activated in our building and to not use the elevators. It also tells us to stay where we are, so no need for us to get out the kitty carrier. In the meantime, my hubby is trying to find towels and duct tape to cover the darn PA speaker, and I'm trying to calm Monte down - who is one step from hiding under the bed again. The towel helps muffle it 'a little', but at least we're not going deaf anymore. It takes 11 minutes before we hear a fire engine siren in the distance. Hello? I KNOW there is a fire station exactly two blocks away. It took them 11 minutes? They could have literally walked over.

Finally, after twenty minutes of continuous bleeping and the same recorded message, the strobe lights in the complex and the alarm shuts off. All is suddenly peaceful again. I fall back asleep fairly quickly, just from exhaustion. A little less than three hours later, my radio alarm goes off. I want to throw it out the window. What a way to start the day!

No comments: