Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Like a house of spirits

No call from the vet today - so no ashes yet. Bubbles is still hanging on strong at the house though. Mom says she smelled him for a long time today. The scent actually followed her around as she went from upstairs to downstairs - and then disappeared like that (fingers snapping).

Dad is still depressed, but he seemed to feel a little better when I told him that perhaps Bubbles is coming around so often to let mom be the messenger for him - to let dad know that he is there. Perhaps this scent sensitivity is inherited. My grandmother, mom, and I are the only three to ever have smelled my grandfather's cologne. And only my mom and I have smelled Bubbles. Mom actually smelled grandpa again today too.

As a good friend of mine described it, it's like someone captured that specific scent and is holding it right at your nose. You can't escape it by walking away - it stays right at your nose. My friend lost her husband to cancer a while ago, but she smells his cologne from time to time. As she like to believe, maybe they come back when they sense you need them? I'd like to think so.

We're going over to see my parents' house tomorrow for dinner - I wonder if Bubbles will come to me?

I know, this sounds more like a ghost log now, but it's a very interesting phenomenon. I don't know how I'd take it if I ever saw a ghost. I'd probably freak. So, no, I would prefer never seeing one. But smelling them - it's not so invading, and somewhat comforting. As I told my husband, when I smelled Bubbles that night after we said goodbye to him, it was as if he gave me a big hug. It was that comforting.

No comments: