Sunday, May 29, 2005

Bad luck

This has not been a very productive weekend. Not that my husband and I didn't plan on getting some chores done. Things just haven't quite gone our way.

This is our list of things to accomplish this weekend:
1. Get new hinges to replace the rusty ones on our bathroom door and linen closet door.
2. Replace the aerator on our kitchen sink faucet.
3. Drive our second car around - it just sits in our garage most of the time.
4. Get yarn and circular needles for two new projects. A sweater and ski cap.
5. Clean out the dresser in our bedroom so that we can dispose of it.

So, here's how the weekend has gone so far. Starting with Saturday, went to Home Depot Pro and bought the hinges, screws and aerator. Got home, and realized that while we got the straight edged hinges for our doors, the existing ones had rounded edges. The aerator didn't fit the faucet and then when we tried to put the old one back on, we discovered that the threads inside were totally worn down - so it wouldn't go back on. So, that was that. We needed to replace the entire faucet. We ended up watching the season finales of Lost, Alias and Desperate Housewives. I'm so frustrated, but in a good way. Can't wait until the next season starts up again. I love those shows!

Today, tried to drive our second car to run errands. It was completely dead. I mean DEAD! Not even the dome light came on. I killed my first baby! So, we got the keys to my parent's car and spent the next 20 minutes charging up the battery. The battery was so dead, it the engine didn't even click until we let the battery charge up a little first. Sad. We finally got the car started. We got to Home Depot Pro and my husband went into the store to get a new faucet set and exchange the door hinges. I waited in the car with the engine running. We didn't want to get stranded out there - just in case...

We then headed up to JoAnn Fabrics, so that I could get my needles and yarn. This time my husband waited for me in the car. I walked to the back of the store where the yarn is and was shocked to find that 80% of the yarn bins were empty! Did everyone decide that this weekend was knit weekend or something? There was nothing left except for the really fuzzy yarn that I just can't handle yet. Disappointed, but still hopeful, I walked around to the knitting needles section. Aside from the sizes I already had, they were out of everything too! Unbelievable! Crestfallen, I go back out to the car. Turns out my husband had made a quick trip and bought a soda. "I was going to get you an Icee, but the machine was broken," he told me. Sigh... Last stop, we headed over to another craftstore called Beverly's... Closed.

So, we're home now. He's installed our new kitchen faucet and it works great, except that we discovered that the hose for the hot water is too short and couldn't reach the actual hot water pipe of the faucet. So, for now, our hot and cold water comes out the opposite setting now.

I think we've both given up for the day. The hinges and my dresser drawers can wait until tomorrow. It's time for a nice dinner. Now I'm just hoping that the restaurant is not closed when we get there. Maybe I should call first?

No comments: