Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Sick and bored...

After a restless night of coughing, I woke up this morning and realized that I had completely lost my voice. It's gone! It's taken a vacation or something, because no sound is coming from my throat. Now, I'm really annoyed.

I've been puttering around the house all day. Actually logged into work to check my emails and do some follow-up work. Yes, that is how bored I am. It's one thing to take the day off and go run errands, go see friends, do some shopping... but to have the day off, and not be strong enough to go out. I don't want anyone to come over because I don't want to get them sick too. Obviously I can't even call anyone because I can't talk. I've been having to email my husband when I want to tell him something.

So, what else have I been doing all day? I finally finished knitting a scarf. It's only the second one I've made, and it turned out pretty nicely. A little short though, but oh well. Now I'm trying to teach myself how to crochet from a kit I bought. I've made a little 4x4 square patch so far. It's not really supposed to be anything. Just practice. I would like to make a cap.

How did I get interested in learning how to crochet? On Tuesdays, near the Ferry Buildling in SF, the farmer's market sets up shop. Boothes of handmade goodies presented in all their simplistic glory are everywhere. Paintings, earrings, soaps, tamales, you name it, it's probably there. At one booth, there is a man who crochets caps and hats all day long. His hands are constantly working on his latest creation. His finished designs sit atop the tables in a rainbow of colors and styles. One day, I was walking by and he was working on this beautiful light blue cap. His fingers manipulating this little stick with a hook on the end and a ball of yarn. By the time I got my lunch and walked past him again, the cap was already sitting on its own little display. It was fascinating to me how he made something so quickly from a ball yarn and a single stick. How do people figure out how to do these things?

So, here I am, with my little square patch, feeling like I can conquer the world of caps and hats with my own little stick and light blue yarn.

No comments: