Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Pin Cushion

My sewing class went very well. We haven't sewn anything yet, but we learned the basics and importance of laying out your material properly and evenly. How to read your pattern instructions. How to lay out your pattern on the material and pin it down. Measuring the grain. And finally, cutting out the pattern from your material.

The first hour was spent smoothing out our material on these wonderful oversized tables. I wish I could fit one of those into our condo. We had to make sure that all the wrinkles and folds and creases were flattened out as much as possible before pinning the pattern on. I managed to poke myself good with the little pins a few times, but it was OK. I had to keep reminding myself that you can't hand smooth the pattern down anymore once the pins are placed. It just doesn't work - your hand ends up being a pin cushion.

At the end of the night, all the pieces were cut, carefully folded, and placed into our own personal oversized baggie. Next week, we will be introduced to the sewing machine - and begin creating our robes. I can't wait!

No comments: