Monday, May 23, 2005

Close call...

Monday night, sewing class night. Started the evening by serging the shoulders because I ran out of time last week. Had a VERY close call, because I got a little anxious or had a twitch or something and suddenly pulled my material at an odd angle and serged right across a wide area. Oops! LUCKILY, the material didn't get cut. With my trusty seam cutter, I managed to remove all the extra stitching without damaging any material. Like I said, LUCKY!

Next step, we pinned on our pocket cutouts. Sewed them, serged them, and the pressed them. Things were chugging along very well at that point. Last hour of the evening, we layed out our material, right sides together, pinned the sides together. So, after we sewed them, it really became a robe! The pockets weren't finished yet, but that was OK. I could put my arms through the sleeves and actually wear it!

We have next Monday off for Memorial Day, so I borrowed my grandmother's sewing machine so that I could try making the cosmetic cases that I had wanted to make two years ago. My dad bought me this tiny, almost toy like, sewing machine for Christmas that year. I was so excited. I immediately bought a 'how to' book and some material... I was ready. Unfortunately, my sewing machine was not. Nor would it ever be. I just can't get it to work. So, hopefully, my grandmother's "real" machine will make my attempt at designing something a little more successful this time.

No comments: