Monday, June 06, 2005

Sale, but no sell

Amidst all the excitement of the condo and everything, I find my most relaxing times sitting in front of the TV and either knitting or doing some crochet. In need of some serious sedation, on Saturday, after we picked up the keys, my husband drove me to this yarn store in SF, Imagiknit, because they just started their "We have too much yarn!" sale. Cute title.

At first, my hubby just dropped me off and I was going to run in and run out. Well, I walked into the store, and basically called my husband to park the car and come help me. This place is just wall to wall to wall yarn. Beautiful yarn! All the colors and textures you could possibly imagine. A knitter's paradise.

After almost an hour of searching through all the mohair, merino wool, and silks, I just couldn't decide - plus, I had no idea that yarn could be that expensive!!! I saw some yarn for $16.95 a skein! I wanted to make the hooded sweater from the Stitch N Bitch book. It requires 10 skeins of Rowan's Kid Classic yarn. They had it there, but it cost $5.50 a skein x 10 + tax = $60. Plus I would need the circular needles, which were $8.95. It's a wonderful store, and anyone who is a not a beginner should definitely visit this place. It's incredible. Their sale will end when all the sale yarn is gone. I hope to go back some day.

We ended up going to Michael's. I bought the yarn I needed, plus a few more. Most of the yarn yardage was double what was available at Imagiknit, so I only needed a total of 5 skeins for my 10 skein sweater. Now, I can make the sweater, two caps, and two more scarves. Also in my overflowing basket were circular needles, a pom pom maker, and a bag of novelty buttons. Oh, and my husband found me a wonderful book for knitting different designs for $11.95. All that for $60 total - not bad!

No comments: