Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Sweet coincidence

I had just mentioned about going to the playground and enjoying the swings with my grandpa in my last entry... Tonight, as we've been doing the last few nights, my husband and I went for a walk. This is our attempt to get back into shape - a nice brisk 30+ minute walk each evening.

Every night, we take a different route around the neighborhood. Tonight we happened to go by a park that also has a play area for kids. It has the usual metal jungle gym and concrete slide. There's a small grassy area with BBQ grills. The familiar 'pock!' sound as racquet and ball collide signifies a night tennis match in the fenced off courts, providing a dusk serenade.

My husband and I headed straight for the swings. We're both in our 30's, yet we feel like kids again everytime we go to the park. We always race for the 'best' swing, and the contest begins to see who can get higher. As the cool breeze flowed across my face, I looked up at the darkening blue sky and remembered my grandfather. I didn't tell my husband I had written about him today. He doesn't know why I was so quiet all of a sudden. I found comfort feeling the wind wrap around me. Grandpa was there, sharing the moment with me as we did so many years ago.

No comments: